The Cleveland Browns have signed running back John Kelly to their reserve/futures list.
Kelly, 24, spent the entire 2020 season on the Browns’ practice squad.
Spotrac.com shows Kelly is due to make $850,000 for the 2021 season.
Kelly is set to become a restricted free agent in 2022.
We've signed RB John Kelly to the reserve/futures list
— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) January 19, 2021
Since Monday, Kelly is the 15th player signed to the reserve/futures list.
The other players include:
- Safety Elijah Benton (Liberty)
- Wide receiver Ja’Marcus Bradley (Louisiana-Lafayette)
- Tight end Jordan Franks (Central Florida)
- Cornerback A.J. Green (Oklahoma State)
- Guard Cordel Iwuagwu (Texas Christian)
- Quarterback Kyle Lauletta (Richmond)
- Defensive end Cameron Malveaux (Houston)
- Tight end Kyle Markway (South Carolina)
- Kicker Matt McCrane (Kansas State)
- Linebacker Montrel Meader (Grambling State)
- Center Javon Patterson (Mississippi)
- Fullback Johnny Stanton (UNLV)
- Tackle Alex Taylor (South Carolina State)
- Wide receiver Derrick Willies (Texas Tech)
All the players listed above finished the 2020 season on the Browns’ practice squad.
The Browns have three other running backs on their roster with:
- Nick Chubb, who is under contract through the 2021 season,
- Kareem Hunt, who is under contract through the 2022 season
- and D’Ernest Johnson, who is due to become a restricted free agent in 2022.
Kelly began his NFL career with the Los Angeles Rams (2018-2019).
In eight regular-season games, Kelly ran for 83 yards on 30 carries and had two receptions for 27 yards.
Kelly also played for the Rams on special teams.
The Rams selected Kelly in the sixth round (176th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft out of the University of Tennessee.
While at Tennessee, Kelly played behind NFL players Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara during the 2015 and 2016 seasons.
Kelly was the team’s leading rusher for the 2017 season.