Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski will have a familiar face coaching with him next season.
The Browns have hird Kevin Rogers as a senior offensive assistant.
On Thursday, Rogers joined an offensive staff that includes coordinator Alex Van Pelt, passing game coordinator Chad O’Shea, offensive line coach Bill Callahan and running backs coach Stump Mitchell.
Rogers, 68, last severed as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at William and Mary from 2013-2016.
From 2006-2010, Rogers served as the Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach.
That timespan marked the first of five of Stefanski’s 14 seasons with the team.
“It’s great to add someone with Kevin’s expertise to the staff,” Stefanski said in a news release. “He has seen so many offenses on every level of football and the knowledge he brings will be invaluable at every position. I remember being a young coach in this league and having the opportunity to pick Kevin’s brain on so many coaching topics. He truly was a great mentor and it’s so important to have that element on your coaching staff. Kevin is going to be a great resource for all of our players and coaches.”
#Browns announced they hired Kevin Rogers as senior offensive assistant. Rogers was #Vikings QB coach when Kevin Stefanski was assistant QB coach in Minnesota. In Cleveland, Rogers will work with the entire offensive staff.
— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) July 23, 2020
Rogers has coached since 1974, with most of his experience at the collegiate level.
Before joining the Vikings in 2006, Rogers spent eight seasons at Navy (1983-1990), eight at Syracuse (1991-1998), three years at Notre Dame (1999-2001) and four at Virginia Tech (2002-2005).
While at Syracuse, Rogers coached Donovan McNabb.
Rogers worked with several quarterbacks in five seasons with the Vikings, including Brett Favre in 2009-2010.
Favre, at the age of 40, led the Vikings to the NFC Championship game in 2009, throwing for 4,202 yards, 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions.
Expect Rogers to work closely with Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield.
Rogers left the Vikings in 2011 to become the offensive coordinator at Boston College.
He then worked in 2012 as a quarterbacks coach at Temple.
Kevin Rogers’ coaching experience:
- 1974-76: Bayside High School (Va.), assistant coach
- 1977-78: Ohio State University, graduate assistant
- 1979: Mainland High School (Fla.), head coach
- 1980-82: The College of William & Mary, running backs coach
- 1983: Navy, tight ends/offensive tackles coach
- 1984-85: Navy, tight ends/wide receivers coach
- 1986: Navy, defensive backs coach
- 1987-88: Navy, running backs coach
- 1989-90: Navy, quarterbacks coach
- 1991-94: Syracuse University, quarterbacks coach
- 1995-96: Syracuse University, assistant head coach/quarterbacks/recruiting coordinator
- 1997: Syracuse University, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks/recruiting coordinator
- 1998: Syracuse University, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
- 1999-2001: Notre Dame University, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
- 2002-05: Virginia Tech University, quarterbacks coach
- 2006-10: Minnesota Vikings, quarterbacks coach
- 2011: Boston College, offensive coordinator
- 2012: Temple University, associate head coach/quarterback coach
- 2013-16: The College of William & Mary, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
- 2020: Cleveland Browns, senior offensive assistant